The city of Tempe has grown over the years from a Hohokam agriculture dwelling to an upbeat, upscale University City, among other things. Hayden Ferry Lakeside is the name given to Bridgeview Condominium development spanning the south shoreline of the beautiful Tempe Town Lake. Before any of the astonishing high rise structures we see today were built, the Hohokam lived in this area and built canals to support their agriculture until the 15th century.
In 1865, fort McDowell was established approximately 25 miles northeast of present downtown Tempe and allowed for growth along the Salt River producing the first permanent communities in the Valley after the fall of the Hohokam. The two settlements were ‘Hayden’s Ferry’, named after a ferry service operated by Charles T. Hayden, and ‘San Pablo’ which was located just east of what we call ‘A’ Mountain today. The ferry was the key river crossing in this area at the time. Tempe later got its name in 1879 from the Vale of Tempe near Mount Olympus in Greece. Six years later Tempe was chosen for the site of the Territorial Normal School which eventually evolved to Arizona State University.
The two original settlements mentioned above were recognized by Arizona State Universities San Pablo dormitories and our beautiful Hayden Ferry Lakeside Development. The University strives and continues to grow as does our community here on the lake. The once agricultural hub is now home to high rise commercial and retail space and remarkable condominiums with views of the surrounding landscape. Bridgeview Condominiums are a slice of history. Come visit our sales office and see what makes Bridgeview a step ahead of the rest.